LGBTQ+ Communities at South and in Fargo

Allison Klose, Editor-in-cheif

LGBTQ+ safety is a prominent issue in many schools. Fargo South has taken many steps to make sure all students feel safe at school regardless of how they identify themselves.

The South High student handbook states, “It is the policy of the Fargo Public School District to maintain a learning and work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment.”

So what is our school doing to follow this policy?

Our school has created safe places for students to go to when they feel upset or uncomfortable. The calming room is a great place to help you deal with strong emotions. The calming room is located in the counseling office. And if you ever feel unsafe in a class, the counselors are always there to help sort out the issue.

Another safe group for LGBTQ+ students is the LGBT club, also known as Spectrum. This is an after-school club for queer students and allies who want to learn more about the community and how they can help with keeping our school safe for everyone.

Mr. Worthington, or Profe, took over the Spectrum as he is a part of the community.

Profe said he has no tolerance for discrimination in his classroom and he always tries to be there for all of his students.

When asked about his experience with discrimination at South he said that he has never experienced discrimination amongst his colleagues and that all the teachers and staff have always been respectful towards him and his identity.

On Saturday, December 11, the Spectrum visited the Pride Collective downtown.

The Pride Collective is a lounge area designed specifically for the LGBTQ community of all ages. It’s a great place to go to meet new people or just to get your mind off of life’s stressors. They have a large selection of board games and a huge library full of LGBTQ literature.

The atmosphere is very open and welcoming. By the time we left, I felt like I had made several new friendships with people I’ve never met before.

The Pride Collective is open every weekend from 12-4 p.m.