Face Off- Against Virtual Learning

Due to COVID, our generation knows the struggles of virtual learning all too well. Most can agree it was nice to be able to wear our pajamas all day, but when it came to learning and understanding our courses, it was pretty difficult. Online classes came with obstacles that in-school classes didn’t have, and this interfered with students’ learning.

One of the biggest reasons virtual learning is not productive is the issue of wifi connection. Even though almost every student has access to wifi, it can be spotty when multiple people in the same household are also trying to do school/work from home. This poses a huge problem for the students’ learning and the teachers’ ability to properly teach their students.

For most people, it’s a lot harder to be productive at home than it is at school. Many studies have shown that working in your place of relaxation or sleeping can affect how much you get done and even your sleeping habits. Most kids are attending their Zoom classes in their room so they are not distracted by their family and pets, but this has been proven to be an unhealthy habit.

The lack of face to face connection can be hard for a lot of students. It can feel isolating to be stuck in a zoom class where no one has their camera on and everyone is muted. This makes it hard for students to feel motivated to do their work. Not having the opportunity to speak to your teacher in person, especially if you have specific questions on the material, can make it super difficult to understand and complete the class.

Unfortunately, there is no alternative to virtual learning as of right now. However, when it comes to things like snow days, it is counterproductive in my opinion. Therefore, virtual learning is not beneficial and no one is actually learning anything.